If your family reunions are like most, there is probably an over abundance of deviled eggs or potato salad. What covered dish can you bring instead? If you are faced with choosing a covered dish for your reunion you may want to try any of the following ideas.
- Prepare peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This might seem like a silly suggestion but there are usually picky toddlers to contend with. If you make a plate of PB&J sandwiches, you can bet even the picky eaters will have something on their plate.
- Cut up in-season fresh fruit. Place it on a large platter and make a delicious dip using an 8-ounce box of softened cream cheese and two 7-ounce jars of marshmallow fluff. Nearly everyone loves fresh fruit so it is unlikely you will have to take any home with you.
- Tossed green salads are another covered dish you might want to consider preparing. Salads don’t require as much diligence in keeping them cold so they are often a good option especially if the weather is warm. Of course, if you do take a salad, it would be best to purchase non-mayonnaise type dressings.
- Corn on the cob is something many people enjoy. You can purchase a dozen ears of corn, break them in half and have enough for several people. Be sure to leave the corn in a small amount of hot water in the pan and wrap the pan with newspaper and a towel to keep them warm. Try not to forget the butter for the corn.
- Baked beans usually go over well at family reunions, too. You may want to prepare two dishes of baked beans – one pan made with bacon and one without for those who don’t eat pork.
- A pasta salad of some type would also be a welcome addition to your family reunion. There are many different pasta salad recipes to choose from. Look around and try to find something that hasn’t been prepared in the past.
- Tomato, Avocado and Mango salsa is a cool, tasty option. Of course, you could also prepare homemade tomato salsa. Take blue corn chips as an alternative to other chips.
- Remember that some people in your family may have diabetes so you will want to have at least one or two dessert options for them.
- Most places family reunions are held have electricity available. You may want to ask several family members to provide electric ice cream makers so you can make homemade ice cream. You can prepare several different ice cream bases and have them chilled and ready to put in the maker when everyone is ready for it.
Do your best to keep everyone healthy during and after the family reunion by keeping foods safe. Bacteria begin to be a problem after cold foods reach 40 degrees or hot foods fall below 140 degrees.