Our friend Moose lives in high country where moose are a regular sight (thus the nickname). Moose (the 2 legged one) serves the best chocolate mousse I’ve ever tasted! This recipe yields 8 individual servings (or 4 with second helpings!)
- 6 one ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
- 4 Tablespoons of salted butter
- 8 pasteurized eggs, separated (will need yolks & whites)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 Tablespoons of water
- 1 and 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of vanilla (can use a favorite liqueur instead)
- Assemble all the ingredients. Break the chocolate into a bowl, add the butter and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. Stir and continue microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until chocolate is smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed. Stir 2/3 cup of sugar into the 5 Tablespoons of water and bring to a boil in the microwave. Slowly pour this hot liquid into the egg whites, beating continuously.
- In another bowl, mix the rest of the sugar with the egg yokes and beat for about a minute. Add the chocolate once it has cooled and blend. Add the vanilla and blend again.
- Using a spatular, fold in the egg whites until well blended and divide into individual bowls. Refrigerate until firm. Moose tops ours with a bit of whipped cream and fresh berries. Yum!